How to Make a Secret Instagram Account
Your Instagram profile most likely contains more personal information about you than any other page on the social network. The number of people following your stories and posts can be intimidating.
If you still decide to use Instagram, then you can’t hide from the eyes of Meta, but you can try from curious strangers.
Hiding your personal life on Instagram is quite simple: change the profile type to private. However, several additional options will help you stay private. You can even leave your account open by slightly changing your profile settings.
In addition, you can create a secret Instagram account that none of your friends will see.
Sit back and get ready to get acquainted with the useful options in the privacy settings of your Instagram page and learn how to make a secret Instagram account.
Did you hear about Instagram censorship? Find out more here.
Reasons to hide an account
What could be the reasons for such privacy? In fact, it will be difficult to describe everything that can happen. Therefore, we will give only the most common cases in which a hidden Instagram profile will be needed.
- Prohibited content. Without rules that all users obey, social networks would be blocked in some countries. Therefore, your creativity, alas, is limited by the rules of the service. If you need to post something for which you will be blocked, close the page. In this paragraph, we mean rather photos, a little more explicit than usual.
- Haters. People who don’t like your content, or you personally can spoil the impression of you through comments or constantly send complaints about the content. To avoid this, you can change your strategy for creating posts. But in any case, not to please everyone, and you can try to hide the account for a while so that the fervor of the haters will subside.
- Attack with complaints. Competitors or the same haters can send complaints about your content. It won’t end well if there really is something in the posts that you can be banned for. Therefore, if you have trouble, you can close the account for a short time or delete posts that violate the rules of the social network.
- Introversion. If you don’t want to gain an audience, and Instagram is only needed to post photos with friends, you may want to close your account from strangers.
How to protect your data on social media? Learn more here.
Make your account closed
Undoubtedly, this is the first thing that comes to mind. A closed account is the easiest way to make your profile private. Be sure that after changing the page type, no outsider will be able to view your posts and stories anymore. Of course, if you don’t allow it yourself.
As soon as your account becomes closed, users who first get to your page will see only your name and profile picture. They will also be able to submit a request to follow you. Only after you confirm this request, new followers will see your photos, videos and stories.
To make your account closed, you should:
- 1. Go to the Instagram settings menu. It is hidden on your profile page in the upper right corner.
- 2. Click on the gear that is at the very bottom to open the settings.
- 3. Go to the path: “Privacy → Account Privacy” and enable the “Closed account” option.
Note: Anyone who has already followed you at the moment when you change the type of your account to a closed one will still be able to follow you. This means that if you want to block access to information about you to a certain person, you need to remove him from the list of your followers.
To remove a certain person from followers:
- 1. Go to your profile and open the followers’ page.
- 2. Scroll through the list and click on the “Delete” button next to the name of the follower you want to get rid of.
Do you want to disappear from the internet? Here is the instruction.
Make your account less visible to others
First, you can prevent your phone from sharing contacts with Instagram. Usually, the application asks you to provide access to the phone book to help you find friends when registering on a social network. However, it also means that Instagram knows which numbers are in your contacts.
To prevent Instagram from viewing your phone book:
- 1. Go to the following path: “Settings → Account → Contact Synchronization.”
- 2. Disable the “Connect contacts” function.
You can also prevent Instagram from recommending your account to other users. This often happens if a person monitors the appearance of new users on a social network. Instagram recommends accounts that are similar to each other or have numerous joint followings. This feature cannot be disabled in the mobile app. To do this:
- 1. Go to the Instagram website and log in to your profile.
- 2. Click on the “Change Profile” button.
- 3. Uncheck the option “Recommend your account to potential followers.”
Finally, it’s worth checking if one of your posts can be found in a Google search. Instagram does not allow Google to show your photos by default. But if you have ever logged in to sites using the credentials of this social network page, information about you may be quite easy to find on the internet.
If one or more of your posts still appear in the search, it is necessary to prohibit third-party applications from accessing your account. You can do this by opening the mobile app:
- 1. Go to the following path: “Settings → Security → Applications and Sites → Actively.”
- 2. Delete from the list all applications that you no longer use.
Prohibit users from tracking your activity
You can also prevent other users from following your Instagram activity.
Disable your online status so that people can’t see when you are online. Keep in mind that if you turn off this feature, you yourself will not be able to see when other users are online.
- 1. Go to the following path: “Settings → Privacy → Network Status.”
- 2. Disable the “Show network status” function.
You can view photos and videos with your marks before they are shown in your profile. If you have a public account, checking and confirming each tag will prevent spammers from attacking your profile. If you have a closed account, it will help save your reputation if one of your friends posts a provocative photo and marks you. To take control of the photos in which you are marked:
- 1. Go to the following path: “Settings → Privacy → Tags.”
- 2. Enable the “Approve hand labels” function.
Disable personalized advertising
Your Instagram ads depend on the websites you visit and the apps you use. If you want to prohibit the display of personalized ads, you will have to drop by Meta:
- 1. On your mobile device, in the Facebook app, go to the following path: “Settings and Privacy > Settings → Advertising → Advertising Settings.”
- 2. In the browser – just follow this link and open the “Advertising Settings” menu.
Note: Two options should be disabled: “Data about your actions received from our partners” and “Advertising based on your activity on Facebook and our apps.” After that, you will no longer see personalized ads on Instagram.
How to make a secret Instagram account
For your friends/colleagues not to find your Instagram, you need to follow several steps.
Step #1. Prohibit Instagram from viewing your phone book.
To do this, go to:
- 1. Settings.
- 2. Account.
- 3. Syncing contacts.
- 4. Disable the “Connect contacts” function.
Step #2. Prohibit Instagram from recommending your account to other users. This feature cannot be disabled in the mobile app.
- 1. Log in to your profile (from your computer.)
- 2. Click on the “Change profile” button.
- 3. Uncheck the option “Recommend your account to potential followers” (at the bottom of the page.)
Note: Ideally, get a phone number that only you will know and attach your account to it, or follow the steps listed above without fail.
You can also block accounts so that certain users cannot view your Instagram.
Anyway, whatever reasons you have for closing or creating a secret Instagram account, you can do it easily and simply by following the instructions above
But remember that the ubiquitous hands of your friends may accidentally or intentionally find your secret account. Therefore, take all necessary precautions.
Protect your data on the internet. Use a decentralized Utopia P2P network.